October, 2016 Wednesday
Chef, Classes and Training
Chef Developer – TDD Cookbook Development – October 2016
Dublin (Venue TBD)
Test Driven Cookbook Development is a comprehensive instructor-led course exploring Test-driven development (TDD) through explanation, demonstration, practice, and discussion.
Building cookbooks with tests will increase the speed at which you work by giving you consistent feedback throughout the entire cookbook development process.
Participants will learn how to confidently create and extend a cookbook using Foodcritic, Rubocop, ChefSpec, and ServerSpec. At the end of the course, learners will have created a code repository that can reviewed and applied to solve real business problems.
One day course agenda:
- Integration Testing
- Using and Configuring Foodcritic
- Using and Configuring Rubocop
- Refactoring Cookbooks with Tests
- Faster Feedback with Unit Testing
- Testing Resources in Recipes
- Testing while Refactoring to Attributes
- Testing while Refactoring to Multiple Platforms
This class is most suitable for people who have completed Chef Fundamentals or Essentials or are comfortable with the topics covered in Essentials. Students in this class must have some familiarity and comfort with the following:
- Writing code (of just about any flavor) in a text editor
- Working on the command line
- Basic system administration – installing packages, configuring those packages, starting service
- Completion of Chef Fundamentals or Essentials is recommended